Wednesday, December 16, 2015

2015 Advent Beer 16: Baltic Porter

Another day, another over-clocked beer. It is a Baltic Porter courtesy of North Carolina's The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery, that weighs in at a respectable 9% ABV.

 

I like porters, but have only had the Baltic variety once before, I believe; the Ragutiene, from the sadly discontinued Beer Gods series. It's too long ago for me to recall it in detail, but I have yet to get a bad beer from Saskatchewan's Paddock Wood, so I'm sure it was good.

 

The Duck-Rabbit variety ours a little flat, and I had to envigorate my decanting somewhat in order to achieve any head whatsoever, but it resides in the glass in an appropriately inky and black fashion. Not a lot for the nose, but what there is has a slightly oily, medicinal quality to it, maybe with a trace of blackstrap molasses behind it.

 

The beer has a good body and mouthfeel, but I can't help but think it would benefit from just a little more carbonation, as it kind of just sits there on the tongue. There is both richness and sweetness to the taste, reminiscent again of molasses, and a bit of licorice or anise in the finish. There is very little hot from the high abv, but not a lot else to distinguish from other strong porters and stouts I've had.

 

Not an unpleasant beverage in the slightest, but strong and dark is a category in which it is difficult to break from the pack, even within the calendar itself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment