Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Appendices

Happy Easter!

I wasn't able to add some of the items I wanted to to yesterday's post, so I figured I would footnote a couple of the elements discussed in this post instead.  First and foremost, Fenya's rendition of 'Hurt':



Failing all else, here is a link to the mp3 file itself so you can download and play it at your leisure!

Fenya sings 'Hurt'

Next, the full text of The Reproaches that we used on Good Friday:

James: We say those words of hope and yet it is hard not to feel the hopelessness
that Jesus must have felt that day. And so we hear words that have been offered on
this day for hundreds of years.
Stephen: The Lord says:
My people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? Answer me!
I led you from slavery to freedom, but you led your Saviour to the cross.
I brought you out of Egypt, but you handed me over to the high priests. 
All: Kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison. 
Stephen: My people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? Answer me!
I led you on your way in a pillar of cloud, but you led me to Pilate's court.
I bore you up with manna in the desert, but you struck me down and scourged me. 
All: Kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison. 
Stephen: My people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? Answer me!
I gave you a royal sceptre, but you gave me a crown of thorns.
I raised you to the height of majesty, but you have raised me high on a cross. 
All: Kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison. 
Stephen: My people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? Answer me!
I gave you saving water from the rock, but you gave me gall and vinegar to drink.
For you I struck down the kings of Canaan, but you pierced your Saviour with a lance. 
All: Kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison. 
Stephen: We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you. 
All: By your holy cross you have redeemed the world.
(The response kyrie eleison is Greek, and means "Lord have mercy.")

The Reproaches are also known as The Improperia, and date back to the 9th century. It's unfortunate that humanity's insurmountable ability to hear a lesson meant for them and redirect it away from themselves ("Yeah, you guys!") means that in the past these verses have been co-opted by anti-Semites in an attempt to legitimize their racism.  The betrayal of Jesus was not done by Jews, Greeks, Romans, or Pharisees, but by humans.  I heard an interview with musician and former gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman (he of Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys) who said, "the crowd always asks for Barrabas";  the important thing to remember is our capacity to be that crowd, whoever we may be.

But that was Friday, and now that tomb is empty!

About twenty of us attended last night's firelight Easter Service, where we heard some scriptures, watched a video about the Big Bang (gotta love a church that embraces science!), and listened to Glen sing "On the Turning Away" by Pink Floyd.  I've always liked this song, which has a folkier feel than a lot of Floyd, but never considered how apt a song it is for Easter:

On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say which we won't understand
"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"

It's a sin that somehow
Light is changing to shadow
And casting its shroud over all we have known
Unaware how the ranks have grown
Driven on by a heart of stone
We could find that we're all alone
In the dream of the proud

On the wings of the night
As the daytime is stirring
Where the speechless unite in a silent accord
Using words you will find are strange
Mesmerised as they light the flame
Feel the new wind of change
On the wings of the night

No more turning away
From the weak and the weary
No more turning away from the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?

Whether your Easter is sacred or secular, I hope that you can spare a moment to consider the gap between where our world is, and where it might be, and that it is a happy occasion regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment