Sunday, December 16, 2012

Advent Beer 16: Eggenberg Festbock (+ Dave's DIY!)

The more of this style I try, the more I like it. Maybe it's the festbock's seasonality; I'm festive... Or the esthetic afforded by the golden amber pour... or possibly the 7.1% alcohol content. Whatever the reason, I intend to seek out more festbocks after the calendar is done.

You can usually count on the higher abv beers to have a bit of sweetness about them, but the Eggenberg Festbock is pretty well balanced, and a great way to finish a meal, rather than accompany one. I'm also a big fan of the black typeface style they used for the name of the beer.
We can also take a third look at the do-it-yourself advent calendar Shari and I put together at the end of November. I'm not too familiar with the specific MkKeller she picked out, but that is a brewer with a strong rep, so it probably doesn't even matter which one she got!

Yasigi is the third in Paddock Wood's 'Beer Gods' series, and despite the African name, is a spiced Belgian style of ale. I have never had Yukon Gold, but Yukon's Deadman's Creek cranberry wheat ale is a great holiday tipple. Bad Attitude was added for the label, but I believe it is from the same brewery that makes Dude Oat Soda, so it should be interesting. Lastly, Lakeland lager was selected for having the same a similar name as Dave's university in Ontario, which is as good a reason as any.

1 comment:

  1. ERR, Lakehead was the name of the university where I left my liver.
    Connor's and then Renegade was the local brewer in TBay. 5.75 for a
    pitcher in the pub was not really conducive to furthering my education.
    :)

    ReplyDelete