Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fab 4: UK Tour Photos

(I asked Fenya to take a turn as guest-blogger, and to tell us about her four favourite pictures from her trip to the UK.  Nerdy divertimentos will presumably resume next week.)



We were at Warwick castle, and the figures had recordings to go with them and everything. Everyone thought she was real. Go, wax figures! My sister even asked what song she was singing. When I told everyone she was fake, they all gave me a disbelieving/is this true/whaaat? stare. Yes, even Dad. Some of them made everyone jump, especially at the torture chamber. No Madame Tusaud’s for me.


First double-decker sighting! I was on the wall of Chester, and my friend looked all giddy, so I went up and asked if she was okay. She looked at me and said “dbbldkrbs.” “Pardon?”  “Double-decker bus!”  I looked around and there it was, driving underneath us! Okay, maybe it was one of those silly little buses for tourists, but it still counts, right? I mean, even though it said 'Sightseeing Chester' on the front, it was still a double-decker. Did you know that London doesn’t have the old fashioned buses anymore? They all look like crappy city buses stacked on top of each other.                                                                                                                                      



Y’know, Welsh mountains are more like rocky foothills… the tops still had grass on them, there were houses on lots, and there were sheep grazing on the peaks! Sheep in Wales have long tails, actually. They don’t dock them with those stupid rubber bands. Wouldn’t that hurt?  Anyway, I’m getting off topic here. Everyone was oohing and aaahing over the view (which I have to say, was pretty spectacular.) when someone said “Um, we totally could’ve seen this in Canada.” One of the older girls went up to her and replied “See those white specks in the distance? Those are sheep. Do you think you’d see long tailed sheep in Canada?” She was quiet after that.  



Many say this looks like a postcard pic. I say it was a lucky shot. Everyone else was busy not listening to their audio guides. I tried to convince my friends to get them, but they all refused. “Tell us three pieces of information that you didn’t know before from there.” No problem. “Well, Stonehenge is built on a barrow… that over there is the equinox stone… and people used to buy chisels and hammers so they could bring home a piece of Stonehenge.”  “What’s a barrow?”  “I’m glad you asked. It’s a burial… hey, where are you going?” “I’m sorry, what were you saying?” “(Sigh.) Never mind.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment